4.10.18

Connect to what feels good

Halfway through my MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) course, I've been learning to deepen my mindfulness practice. And I keep trying and trying and trying. On days that my mind doesn't quite settle or clear the way I'd like, I keep trying . . . because it counts. 

Every day is full of pleasant and unpleasant moments as I do a body scan. What is my experience in the moment? Am I aware of the pleasant or unpleasant feelings? How does my body feel as I pay attention to the physical sensations? What moods, feelings and thoughts accompany the moment? What do I think as I write and reflect? 

I keep trying . . . to live mindfully . . . because it feels good. 

For me, the combination of MBSR and at home yoga (yogawithadriene.com) practices, forest bathing, and inspirational messages (from Chara at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9b5uvbYoLsH4T0a4xoP4XA/videos) to live from a place of light and love are the magic medicine I need to recover and be healthful.

I encourage you, dear friend, to give mindfulness a try. Have you had a pleasant or unpleasant experience today? I invite you to scan your body. What happened? Were you aware of the joy or stress in the moment? How did your body physically react? How did you feel in the moment? Can you set an intention for yourself that you may breathe, bless and release in every (relaxed or maddening) moment?

In our journey of modern aging and living, let's make every effort to connect to what feels good and heal this broken world of ours one mindful moment at a time.