19.8.10

Aloha chanting through The Wait

Any time I find myself anxious, stressed or frustrated, I am sure to engage in some mindful chanting -- usually some Aloha chant.  Most of the time, A. thinks I'm saying jibberish.  But I am sure to research my chants diligently since for me, they have to feel right.  The ones that attract me the most are Hawaiian chants. 


This week, I've been most bothered by being in waiting mode.  In fact, I made myself more insane by trying to surf for any more recent ICAB updates.  I discovered an April 2010 notice regarding the moratorium on adopting out children younger than three years old.  This, we have already been informed of.  Then another notice on how applications requesting children three years and older will be reviewed.  We know this already too.  I then happened upon a handful of blogs describing other adoptive families' wait for their children from the Philippines.  Most of the parents were non-Filipino -- a couple from Canada, another from Australia.  For most parents, their wait was more than a year from the date their dossier had been approved by ICAB.  We continue to wait for our official ICAB approval.  In the meantime, I have been reintroducing myself to more disciplined (and basic) yoga practice.  I think it's best if I think that the time of our child match is still far, far away . . .


And so I chant,


Ahonui a lanikila
Ahonui a lanikila
Ho'opuka e ka la ma kahikina
Ho'opuka e ka la

patience, patience, patience
open the door to thoughts of light & love
fill my heart with the Aloha Spirit

"Aloha is to learn what is not said, to see what cannot be seen and to know the unknowable." - Queen Lili'uokalani