25.2.09

Wednesday's ashes

After meeting my friend, C., for lunch today I found myself wandering over to St. Francis of Assisi on 31st Street.  I probably hadn't seen C. in a year, and clearly so much has happened in the past year.  Upon greeting each other, I couldn't help but be a little overwhelmed.  Thinking of Dad & Tito Frank today, it was comforting to see a friendly face.  Thanks, C!   

I ended up lighting a candle in the outdoor Peace Garden, which features a wall of votive candles, on the grounds of St. Francis. That makes two weeks in a row and on weekdays that I've found myself drawn to some sacred ground whether it's a church cemetery or a chapel.  Maybe it's a part of my trying to be more disciplined about meditation.     

Both weeks as I've sat quietly in the church, I've practiced being still.  Trying to be aware of my breath & being-ness.  

my father's ashes
are not 
wednesday's ashes 
inscribed on my forehead 
calling to mind
death
sorrowful sin
and 
how life must change

wednesday's ashes 
are not
my father's ashes 
echoing of
death
forgiveness
and 
how life has changed