6.10.08

Reminiscing over karaoke

We celebrated Auntie Aurea's birthday and her and Uncle Regino's anniversary in Stamford (CT) this past weekend along with the Tangonan Family.  The celebration feast featured Mom's pancit (birthday noodles) and inabrow/dinengdeng (vegetable stew) -- of course, Uncle's lobster with homemade seafood stuffing, roast beef, strawberry/kiwi angel food cake AND mango cake care of Red Ribbon.  It was hard not to miss Dad, especially when the karaoke round came into action late in the evening . . . amidst a couple of glasses of scotch, goblets of wine and margaritas.  

I got all ferklempt when the song request for "More" (' . . . than the greatest love the world has known / This is the love I give you to alone / More than the simple words I try to say / I only live to love you more each day . . . '

But Mom & I surely lost it when My Way made its way up the karaoke reserve chart.  

"And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case 
Of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full 
I've traveled each and every highway
But more
Much more than this
I did it 
My Way"

Mom retreated to the dark sun room and sat with her moment.  I grabbed a wad of paper towel and sat with my moment.  Those were Dad's songs.  

(Did I mention I had more than a handful of glasses of cabernet?  Needed it.  Thank goodness, no hangover the next day.)