29.10.11

The universe at work

It's been a while since I've had a massage.  I indulge in spa treatments two times a year.  Lucky for me, I've racked up enough points on my credit card to earn myself a spa gift certificate.  So today was a day just for me.  I began my morning with a run at the gym, then was off to my 11am deep tissue massage at Orange Skye Day and Wellness Spa.  I'd mentioned to Olga, my massage therapist, that I wanted her to especially focus on my neck and shoulders.  While her pressure was sometimes painful, it's achingly well-worth-it-kinda pain as I imagined all of the toxins leaving my body's nooks and crannies.  As she released knots deeply embedded within my upper shoulders and neck, Olga in her Russian accent commented, You sure do carry everything on your shoulders.

An hour later, I sat with my steaming cup of green tea in the parlor, a homey relaxation area in the 100-year-old vintage home complete with its original features.  The owner and mother of three (ages 25, 18, & 8), Maggie, happened to be there.  As we engaged in Saturday spa conversation, I soon learned that she, too, was a Jersey City native who made a career change from interior design for high-end clients to holistic wellness, as well as a quality of life change from a life of long work and commuting hours to a more balanced one with a 5-minute walk to work (work that she loves).  

For me, a truly inspiring encounter.  

Did I mention that Maggie grew up in the exact same JC neighborhoods as I did? 

I think my Dad must be looking out for me.     

Working towards a simple life
I haven't officially launched the project quite yet.  It's been two years in the making -- Simple Vita.  Official launch coming soon. Guided by some of my Dad's last words of life advice, I have embarked on a journey to bring together my career experiences and personal interests to create Simple Vita, a community where we learn that the most challenging work we do in our lives is within ourselves.  My hope is that together, people will find ways to keep life simple, appreciate the present, and support each other to be illuminated in spirit.  

In addition to owning the spa, Maggie is also the creator of YourWellnessNJ.com, a network of wellness resources focused on the whole person, the whole life

Maggie and I then chatted enthusiastically about my offering wellness workshops to the resource network.  I felt an instant connection to Maggie, who also happens to be an older mom to her youngest son. I'd shared with her how we were in the adoption process and currently in waiting mode for our child.  (I am fully aware that I will be an older mom.)

Looking forward to meeting Maggie for tea or coffee in the near future.  I know the universe is at work, and wonderful moments are about to happen.