13.7.06

I have an addiction


I guess it all started with the wedding planning. I wanted to make my own centerpieces, wheatgrass and shells, resembing the Jersey shore. I needed glass vases, shells, and sage candles in bulk. I've never been much of a shopper, hate the actual physical energy of having to get in a car, go to the department store, walk on the floor and hunt for the item I need. But there's something about the ease of online shopping. One click after another, I am able to to view hundreds of brands and styles in a matter of half a day (becasue it takes me that long to do a thorough search and make sure I get quality for a reasonable price). Whatever I'm searching for, it could be a vintage brocade cocktail dress (bluefly.com) or a new rattan/wicker lounge chair and ottoman (wickeroutlet.com), I spend days clicking each and every style on each and every site that pops up after my google. Some days, I'm just "window" online shopping. I have no intention of whipping out my credit card, but I just want to see what's out there.

In the past few months, I have looked at bookshelves (homedecorators.com), writing desks (also homedecorators.com), handmade wood fish mirrors (novica.com) . That I had no intention of whipping out my credit card, well, except for these times --

My mom generously donated the funds so that we could purchase a new dining table and chairs (roomstogo.com). A lovely wood pedestal and round glass top table, it fits in well with our home's shore theme. While we have a small cafe table in the windowed breakfast nook, my husband insists that we put our new dining table to use, so every meal is eaten there (and usually by candlelight).

I'd been wanting street signs to hang up in our kitchen and wanted them custom made. Sure enough, I located them (mrstreetsigns.com). One sign (for me) says, Jersey City Blvd; and the other (for my husband, the fisherman) says, Surfside Way. We haven't hung them up yet. But I have no doubt they will add our individual personalities to the cooking area.

Finally, we have two out-of-town weddings in September. My usual special occasion dresses are fitting quite snug, so of course I need at least one new dress. Found a bargain of one (spiegel.com), beige/gold-toned dress with a black mesh overlay. Perfect.

Rest assured, I don't shop online just for me. I look at every month's calendar to see whose birthdays are coming up. My friends' kids' birthdays are highlighted, so I make sure to send them a present (usually amazon.com). Or at least a free electronic card birthday greeting (mac.com/icards). Does the free stuff count as part of my addiction?

Uh oh. I just remembered, while I spend a good amount of time thoroughly researching items online, there is my other fixation. My weekly trips to . . .

. . . the dollar store.