4.2.13

We are the world

N. and I listen to two music channels all day long - soundscapes and the 80s. As a new mama, I often think of the life lessons I'd like to impart to N. As I belted along with USA for Africa's "We are the World," I felt an overwhelming sense of compassion, love, and protection not only for N., but also for other children throughout the world. Mostly, I blame my single gendered education and the Sisters of Charity and their code of conduct who raised me for 13 of my formative years. I sobbed as I rocked out with N. and Cyndi Lauper.  

As I sat there, I wondered why I felt so feklempt. PMS? Mother's burden? Perhaps a combination.

Truth is, it's in the lyrics:
There comes a time when we heed a certain call / When the world must come together as one / There are people dying / And its time to lend a hand to life / The greatest gift of all . . . We can't go on pretending day by day / That someone, somehow will soon make a change /We are all a part of God's great big family / And the truth, you know, / Love is all we need . . . We are the world, we are the children / We are the ones who make a brighter day / So lets start giving . . . There's a choice we're making / We're saving our own lives / It's true we'll make a better day / Just you and me

Indeed I'm a sap. But there certainly is a huge world beyond N.'s under-the-sea, ocean blue walls. I hope that one day, she'll choose to express her compassion, love and protection of others.